Boveridge (Former Church of St. Aldhelm)
Former Church of St. Aldhelm, Boveridge, Dorset
St. Aldhelm's Church, Boveridge was declared redundant in October 1980, and is now a private dwelling. There is, therefore, absolutely no public access. The benefice was united with that of Cranborne.
Newman and Pevsner (p. 105) report that the church was built in 1838, "in an odd, very idiosyncratic, debased Georgian." There is a thin NW tower, which includes a domed canopy, with bell.
- John Hutchins, The history and antiquities of the County of
Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by William Shipp and J.W. Hodson,
Westminster: J.B. Nichols, 1861-1873, Vol. x, pp. x.
- John Newman and Nikolaus Pevsner, The buildings of England:
Dorset. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, p. 105.
- F.P. Pitfield, Dorset parish churches, A-D. Milborne Port:
Dorset Publishing Company, 1981, pp. 89-91.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory
of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 5, East
Dorset. London: HMSO, 1975, p. 7.
- Privy Council Office, Pastoral Measure, 1968. London Gazette, No. 48344, 17 October 1980, p. 14458: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/48344/page/14459/
To Dorset Churches Index Page
Maintained by Michael Day,
Last updated: 8 November 2014.